STEP 2 – In Ontario, when you can’t make a decision for yourself, the law says your SDM(s) must do it.
TALK to your SDM
Conversations get things started, and help you to share important info about yourself, your wishes, values and beliefs.
This info will help to guide your SDM(s) to make healthcare decisions that are based on what you would want for your healthcare.
Conversation Starters to Think About
Provide your SDM(s) with info to become an expert on YOU!
Here are a few questions to help you get started:
- What is important to you?
- Do you have spiritual beliefs that are important to consider?
- What brings quality to your life?
- What do I need to know about you to get the kind of care you would want?
- What is a good day to you?
Do I need to write this down?
In Ontario, you don’t have to. You can share them in any way you choose to communicate.